Life in Groningen

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

sadness strikes me once more

Yeah, that kind of happens to me whenever I read the newspaper.
First of all Jeltsin died this week. It is a loss. And I know that there probably are people out there that can place arguments against him, but fact is (at least in my book) that he did good in his life. He opened up conversation between Russia and the western world. He tried to de-communise his country. Now I know there are people that say he just made it worse. The fact is HE didn't. Russia got worse because his replacements didn't continue his work.
Russia is no democracy yet and far from it. There is no freedom of press there. It is a state that contains a ruling elite that only looks after themselves and their support. Just like any other dictatorship.

Second thing that makes me sad is the fact that Europe is still in conflict about the Armenian genocide. Not so much that those people were killed, but whether it falls under "genocide" or not. I mean. WHAT THE FUCK! Thousands of people were killed! And all Turkey does is yell that it wasn't genocide because if it was they'll have to pay the Armenian people money. I mean, I know it'll probably be a lot of money, but it's nothing compared to what such a government has.

One more thing and then I'm done. A dutch high school student was killed on Monday. He was attacked without warning by some guy. Apparently the student had said something about a friend and the girlfriend of the attacker the weekend before. When the attacker came to pick up his girlfriend from school he saw the victim and after some words were exchanged just hit the student three or four times and left.
And the hits were not at random either. Three hits aimed strait at the temple.
The student died by the time the ambulance reached the hospital.
The attacker was arrested short after at his home. His family and friends say it couldn't have been intentional, he wasn't like that. He's just very fond of his family and friends.
Well apparently he's very touchy about them too. I mean, why the fuck would you attack like that? Ever heard of solving a problem with words? I know that there are some disturbed people out there, but this guy just attacked and hit the guy with aimed strikes and his family and friends are saying he didn't mean to kill him?
He was only SIXTEEN FOR GOD'S SAKE!

And that's just in our little shit-hole of a country, we're relatively safe. The "first Dutch soldier killed by actual enemy fire" event happened in Afghanistan. There have been previous deaths on our side over there, but they were all accidents with helicopters crashing due to mechanical issues and all that.

And all the western world does is live on. Celebrating the sixtieth birthday of Holland's most renowned football player, for instance.

Worst of all is that I'm criticizing such behavior while I myself am doing the same thing. People are killed all over the world and I'm dead worried about a test this afternoon while I'm waiting for the torrent of Rise of Legends to be completed so I can play (and I will play). In a minute or so I'll be done with sobbing over the worlds madness and I'll be laughing and enjoying the life as a university student.

The people of this world are hypocrites and I'm one of the biggest of them all.

-one sad, sad hypocrite,
-E

_________________________________________________________

5 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah. The bear is dead. I guess he got the record for surviving heart attacks..just one too many.

The whole genocide discussion is just crap.

The beating with fatal ending sucks ass. Have read lots about it the last day and a half..
Hope people won't start avenging this..

About our soldiers: the only positive thing about the news of the last year was that the army was telling the truth about the deaths: no crappy stories about heroic deaths.
Just plain accidents and a guy stepping on a mine. Won't make the loss any easier though.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Erwin said...

lay-Z-punks

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Erwin said...

shees, that's one badly disguised golem right there.

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

golem...hmm might be too sleepy to get it..

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Erwin said...

you'd probably won't
I just stopped playing Rise of Legends and was kind of under influence. (iirc)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home